Basic First Aid
An emergency situation can happen anywhere, both on and off the job. These situations can be stressful and unexpected, so it is important that employees are aware of necessary basic first aid procedures in order to keep themselves and those around them safe. Knowing basic first aid can help you save a life.
According to OSHA, first aid is “emergency care provided for injury or sudden illness before emergency medical treatment is available”. This care can be required and administered in any workplace across industries. Regardless of the situation, it is essential to know how to appropriately respond.
General first aid can cover many topics, from assessing a situation to calling for help. Even though providing basic first aid to someone going through a common or critical injury or emergency situation can be helpful, it is still important to recognize your limitations and only provide first aid in situations where you feel competent and have been appropriately trained.
Common injuries where first aid may be required include cuts, sprains, and nosebleeds. On the other hand, critical emergencies include heart attacks, strokes and seizures. Assessing the situation is the smartest way to gauge the series of events that led to injury and how best to assist the injured person.
Some of the other steps required in the basic first aid procedures include:
- Assessing the victim
- Calling for help
- Taking appropriate action based on the state of the injured person
After taking this course, you will learn how to identify the steps for conducting basic first aid. Learners will also be able to recognize the symptoms and procedures for common first aid situations.
This course is presented in English, Spanish, Bosnian, German, Portuguese, Polish, and Mandarin.
Interested in more SafetySkills course content?
SafetySkills launched the following course titles and course translations in July 2022:
Rebuilt Course Titles:
- Basic First Aid
- Basic First Aid: Bleeding Injuries
- Basic First Aid: Breathing Problems
- Basic First Aid: Burns and Thermal Injuries
- Basic First Aid: Chest Pains, Heart Problems, and Stroke
- Basic First Aid: Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Basic First Aid: Other Common Emergencies
- Basic First Aid: Steps for Conducting Basic First Aid
- Electrical Safety / NFPA 70E
- Personal Protective Equipment: Standards, Use and Maintenance
New and Rebuilt Translations:
- Driver Safety
- Grinder Safety
- Lawful Hiring Practices
- Sexual Harassment and Discrimination for Managers in New York
- Park and Landscape Maintenance Safety